Monday, September 28, 2009

Underestimating a Storm

I remember thinking, in the midst of blackout frustrations and general disconnection from the rest of the world, that this storm Ondyong wasn't so bad. Sure, there was a lot of rain, but we don't measure the strength of a storm on rain; rather, we measure the strength of the wind.

This storm had few winds. Nothing was blowing about, no trees looked to be uprooted. I could honestly say then that I had seen worse storms. I was even able to walk to Robinson's Pioneer with no gear more storm-worthy than an umbrella. I had no idea it was this bad.

My first clue was the fact that the blackout was so long. Even during the last super typhoon, power was restored to us a mere five hours after the lights went out. Last Saturday, even the mall was closing down early because, I suspect, they could not keep the entire mall running on generators for long. Even the cinemas closed at 5 pm. We only got power back at midnight, much to my frustration.

Then, the next day, for the first time that I can recall, I had people texting me asking if I was okay. This has never happened before, not even during those stronger storms. I found it odd that people were so worried considering that the storm was relatively weak save for rain volume. I looked out, and the streets did not have the tell-tale signs of a bad storm; no debris strewn all over the streets, no trees on the roads, no broken power cables. So, I didn't join in the general texting frenzy.

Then, I saw the news. The rain volume was damaging in other ways. Apparently, so many places got flooded, especially along river banks. Some of my friends had houses and furniture swept away. We haven't heard so far from AG and TJ, who both live in flash-flooded Cainta. No wonder there was a feeling of panic. I cannot help but think that this is cruel irony...more trouble generated by a weak storm than by monster hurricanes with blasting wind speeds.

I get the feeling that somehow, we the people are to blame for this. It was more a prolonged rain storm than a hurricane, and yet we were caught so unprepared. I hope to God we can bounce back from this. We bounced back from the super typhoon. We can bounce back from this, and the other two storms on her heels.

To all you out there dispossessed and distraught by the unexpected terror of the storm, Godspeed and may the angels in Heaven hear your cry. We are all lamenting now.

1 comment: