Saturday, March 20, 2010

Fun With Taylor Swift

Since some folks were singing Taylor Swift songs around Grant's piano last night, it brought to mind the hypocritical double-standard present in that song of hers that got her "Best Video" (the one where she got interrupted by Kanye West).

"You Belong With Me"

You're on the phone
With your girlfriend
She's upset
She's going off about
Something that you said
'cause she doesn't get your humor
Like I do

I'm in the room
It's a typical Tuesday night
I'm listening to the kind of music
She doesn't like
She'll never know your story
Like I do

But she wears short skirts
I wear t-shirts
She's cheer captain
And I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time

If you could see
That I'm the one
Who understands you
Been here all along
So why can't you
See you belong with me
You belong with me.

That's about half the song, but its enough to see where it is going. Here's Ms. Swift posing as some "dreamer" high school girl who falls in love with a cliche high school varsity quarterback who is her idea of a boy toy is "deep", I guess.

I suppose it never occured to her that there is also some guy there in the bleachers who likes her for who she is, t-shirts, sneakers and all. Somebody who most likely shares her humor, probably more so than alpha superjock out in the field. He most likely prefers the same indie bands, the same movies, the same outlook on the wider world. Hell, I'd wager a beat-up old Cadillac that he's her male best friend. I've known some guys who were "that guy" to the same kind of girl Ms. Swift pretends to be in the song. Why doesn't she sing a song about that guy? Oh, yeah. He isn't all that handsome and doesn't carry the athletic pedigree of a starting varsity quarterback. Sure, he may be CEO of some multinational someday, but that would make him even more boring, am I right ladies?

This idiotic girl should just cut the crap and admit she's just as shallow as that moronic quarterback she likes. Cut the crap about knowing about the guy's dreams (creepy) and just admit that she is as driven by her animal desires as that idiot who can't see her for the shapely legs his cheer captain girlfriend has.

Here's what the quarterback is more likely to say to her if she ever decides to follow her dream and swing for home (ie, confront him with her girlish emotions)...

But I like short skirts,
You wear t-shirts.
I like cheer captains
You're on the bleachers.
Enjoying this day
That I woke up and found
That what I'm looking for
Is already my girl.

If you could see
You're not the one
Who understands me.
Not gonna happen.
So why can't you
Please stop stalking me
Stop stalking me. 

And it couldn't have happened to a more deserving airhead.

That said, her songs "The Best Day" (how often do you hear a song about a girl's love for her dad?) and "White Horse" more than make up for the pair of atrocities that is this song and that other profound display of ignorance of Shakesperean literature.

No comments:

Post a Comment