Monday, June 8, 2009

A Curious Argument

I was sifting through a post on the metaphysics of a "multiverse" by sci-fi writer John C. Wright when I came across a curious argument I have never heard before:

On the other hand, the supernatural is not and cannot be another physical place with other laws of nature.

This distinction avoids much confusion in these arguments. I have heard, for example, theists argue that, given any number of possible worlds, there must therefore be one world occupied by a being of such immense power that he could create universes at his command. This argument is merely a confusion of words. You can call world-making creatures gods if you like, but they would be natural creatures bound by the laws of nature.

It tickled my funny bone to think that, somewhere out there, there are some Christians trying to "Christianize" string theory. I have never heard this "god of the multiverse" argument before, and it looks to be extremely half-baked (a world-making creature subject to the laws of string theory cannot be a god...it probably won't even be a scientist...), but I do applaud them for trying.

But then again, Christianizing string theory is like Christianizing rap. Ugh and why bother? 

No comments:

Post a Comment